Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sunburn like Close Encounters

Funny, but these last few days without experiments have been pretty cool. I did get sunburned on one side of my neck, as though I had a "close encounter" with an alien space craft. Actually, it was because I had my hair in a tail which covered one side, and I faced nearly the same direction all afternoon. I find I don't get quite so bored when there is flying to be done. I focus. I get quite a bit of work done at the lab, reading papers, a bit of analysis, and still can take some time in the afternoon to fly. Yesterday, I validated a recent field by flying on it for the third day in a row. However, it's still a ultralight situation in Switzerland, which is has been frustrating until yesterday. Yesterday, I finally coaxed my Prism Flashlight into an axle. While still far from "locked in", it's a trick in progress for sure. As it turns out, this kite needs to be well set up for an axle (i.e. in a real stall, with the nose dropping just slightly) much more than the Gemini, which even in my hands makes an axel almost too easy to call a trick. I also felt like I made a much needed improvement to my snap-stall, and I even had one basic kill which I rotated into a brief but stable fade. The flic-flak was attempted but did not happen.

I could retire now to a Philippine island (with internet...to order kites) where I could start a sanctuary for freestyle flyers. There would be beach huts, bon fires, fresh fish, and always, everyday, a warm beaufort 3 from the west. I'll let you know when it's set up.

No comments: